Product variants represent different versions of the same product. For example, a certain smartphone can come in three colors and with three different storage capacities for each of those colors - this variations in properties create nine different variants of the same product. Backstore allows you to easily add new variants to existing products in the product catalog.
Each product by default has one variant - itself. By using properties you can define different variants for the same product. Each variant is treated as a separate product in terms of stock tracking and reporting. Each variant has it's own unique SKU number.
All products and product variants are available in All products view. In the Products catalog view all of product variants are grouped by main product.
Product variants have their prices defined, they are added to the documents and warehouse. In order for the variant to be used it must have a defined SKU code, and the category to which the product is assigned. These categories must have a defined tax rate.
In order to create variants you need to add property values to the product. Click on Edit option. 
This opens Product Details page.
- All defined product variants are listed in the Products table (1).
- Enter property values (sizes, colors, etc.) and Backstore will suggest product variants based on those properties. You can click on the "+" button (4) to add a suggested variants.
- You must set different SKU value (2) for each product variant. This would be done automatically by pressing save button.
- Delete product variant - To delete a certain variant, click on the delete icon in the table. The variant can't be removed if it is used on any price list or document.
- Click on SAVE button (3) or press F9 keyboard key to save the changes, or click on the CANCEL button to ignore the changes.
If all of product variants have same price, we may set them by using option Add to pricelist at the upper right menu (5).
Description field within variants is used to add variant with specific description. We may use more variants with same properties but with different description.